Accessibility Guide for MonkBridge House
MonkBridge House is a tall 3 storey Victorian house built up from the road opposite the River Foss. We want to make everyone's stay as enjoyable as possible, and are committed to providing suitable access for all our guests. We aim to accurately describe our facilities and services to give you the information you need to decide whether to book our accommodation. We have eight (8) bedrooms, four (4) on the first floor and four (4) on the second floor. All are accessed by stairs only; we do not have a lift. The are some period features of our property which might make access for people with limited mobility difficult and we are not currently able to offer wheelchair access. However, we are willing to discuss access with you and will assist anyone who would like to stay with us.
At a Glance
- The front entrance is approached by fourteen (14) steps with a handrail.
- There are two (2) 15 cm/6in. steps down to a sloping path and one (1) further 15cm/6 in. step to the rear entrance.
- There is currently no level access into the property.
- We are happy to assist with luggage.
- All bedrooms are accessed via stairs.
- All bedrooms have short pile carpet.
- Synthetic duvets & pillows.
- Furniture can be moved on request.
- We can provide guest information in large print as required.
MonkBridge House is situated less than 10 minutes from the City Centre and York Minster. The railway station is approximately a 25-minute walk away. Taxis and buses are available on the station forecourt.
17 Huntington Road
Travel by public transport
- The nearest train station is York. The train station is 1.5miles / 2.5km from MonkBridge House.
- The nearest bus stop to our house is at the end of Lowther Street approximately 300m from the house. Buses No. 13 and 14 run from the Railway Station.
Travel by taxi
- You can get a taxi from the Railway Station.
- We use two York taxi companies:
- 659 Taxis of York – 01904 659-659
- York Cars – 01904 638888
- We have a free car park at the rear of the property which can take up to 8 cars (double parked) by prior arrangement. The parking is less than 50 metres from the main entrance. The car park has a stone-chip surface with two (2) steps and a sloping block-paved path leading to the back door via one (1) further step. This is well lit at night by a motion sensor light at the rear of the building.
- There is a drop-off point at the main entrance (10 minutes waiting in a permit controlled area) but there are steps to the pavement and to the front door and no level access.
Path to main entrance
- From the street to the main entrance, there is stepped access.
- There are fourteen (14) steps from the street with a handrail.
- The door is 96cm/38 in. wide, side hung and manual.
- When you arrive, we can help carry your luggage.
- The rear entrance is accessed from the car park.
- There are two 15cm/6in. steps down to a sloping path and a further step gives access to the rear entrance which has a slightly raised threshold.
- The rear door is 77cm/30.2 in wide, side hung and manual.
- When you arrive, we can help carry your luggage and provide assistance from the car.
Check In times
- Guests can check in any time after 3.00 pm and we ask guests arrive by 7.00 pm at the latest unless there is prior arrangement for a later check in.
- Arrival outside these times is available, with access provided to a key safe at the front and rear entrance. However, this must be agreed in advance by contacting us directly to obtain a time limited code.
- Check out time is 10.30 am but we can retain luggage by arrangement.
Getting Around (General Public Areas)
We have a large front door which leads into a hallway and corridor. Guests are shown the dining room and then to their bedroom where they are asked to fill in and return a registration form. Leading from the main entrance are the stairs to the first floor.
- All public areas, halls, stairs, landing, are well lit using a combination of ceiling and wall lights.
- There is short pile carpet on the stairs and landings.
- From the ground floor there are twelve (12) stairs leading to a small half landing.
- There are a further eight stairs to the four (4) first floor bedrooms.
- The stairs have a rise of 15cm/6in. and a tread of 30cm / 12in and are 85cm / 33.5 in. wide with a strong banister.
- An additional four (4) bedrooms are located on the second floor – access is via sixteen stairs with a rise of 18cm/7in., tread of 24cm/9.5in. and a width of 27cm/10.5in. with a handrail.
- The dining room is situated on the ground floor with step free entry from the hall.
- The door opening to the dining room is 800mm / 31.5in. wide and it is level throughout.
- The flooring is wood.
- Lighting is natural daylight, ceiling lights, wall lights and table lamps around the room.
- Menus available in large print if required.
- We are able to cater for varying dietary requirements. Please advise us when making a booking.
- From the hall to the lounge, there is level access. The door is 80cm wide/31.5 in.
- The lounge area is open plan. There are two sofas and an armchair with seats 50cm/20 in. from the floor.
- There is a unisex toilet, with one hand basin on the ground floor
- The toilet door has an opening width of 74cm/29in.
- The toilet height is 40cm/15.7ins.
- The toilet is well lit.
- MonkBridge House has 8 bedrooms with en-suite shower rooms. No room has a bath.
- The doors to all bedrooms are 74cm/29 in.
- All bathrooms have a shower, toilet, washbasin, mirror and an electric shaver points.
- Complimentary WiFi is available subject to the location of the receiving device and the restrictions of the fabric of the building.
- All bedrooms are accessed via stairs.
- All bedrooms have windows.
- All bedrooms have shortpile carpets.
- Medium/firm beds: the height of all of the beds from the top of the mattress to the floor is approximately 48cm/19ins.
- Synthetic duvets and pillows (additional blankets and pillows on request).
- Bedrooms have ceiling lights, bedside lamps and natural daylight.
- All bedrooms are non-smoking and non-vaping.
- Remote control TV.
- We can move the bedroom furniture, to improve accessibility.
- Access to rooms is available at all times while staying with us. Daily servicing of the rooms takes place after breakfast if the room is available to us.
Getting around outside
- From the rear entrance there is a small seating area and table overlooking the garden.
- From the rear entrance there is a small lawn but no level access.
- MonkBridge House has a very strict no smoking policy, both inside the premises and in the grounds. This includes E cigarettes.
- Anyone found smoking inside the premises or in the grounds will be required to pay minimum charge of £100.00 plus any additional costs for the specific cleaning of fabrics and soft furnishings.
Customer care support
- We do not have wheelchairs on site but these can be hired from shopmbilitiy in York.
- Shopmobility is located at Piccadilly car park, adjacent to Coppergate Shopping Centre.
- Contact Shopmobility directly for more information: Level 2, Piccadilly car park YO1 9NX Phone: 01904 679222.
- We are happy to welcome assistance dogs by prior arrangement.
Emergency evacuation procedures
- We have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require assistance, please let us know and someone will come to your room and assist you with evacuation.
Customer care support
- There is a bell in the hall that can be used to gain our attention and assistance. We also provide a mobile number to contact us in case of emergency.
- We can provide information in large print on request.
- Guest information files in rooms give details of local services and emergency procedures.
- Medication can be stored in fridges in the room.
Guide last updated: Feb 2022